Jul 3, 2013

Photography Tips ~ Proper Lighting ~ Dorothy Nicole Photography

I frequently get emails asking questions like, "What's a good camera to buy?" or "What editing software do I use?", and other similar questions.  I get it!  You want to be able to take better "everyday" pics of your own kids!  And who can blame you?!!  I wanted to as well, that's what first ignited my interest in photography.  

My answer, as far as a good camera...the best camera to use is the one you have with you!!  Seriously!!  In this day and age, even cell phones have a pretty good quality to them.  Personally, I lug my iphone around a HECK of a lot more than I do my fancy camera.  And it takes pretty good pics, especially if I am outside b/c natural lighting is AWESOME!!  Which brings me to my topic...Lighting!!

It's doesn't matter the kind of camera you have or how you edit, if it's not a good image, there's only so much you can do.  So I am going to be regularly making posts with little tips to help you take better "everyday" images of your kiddos and family!!

So, LIGHTING....It's a BIG deal!!  Below I took some images of my daughter (ignore her pouty face, she can't help it, but it's cute, right?).  I had my camera on the same exact settings, but different lighting situations, facing towards a window, sitting beside a window, and sitting with her back to a window.  These are straight out of the camera, NO editing!!  Take a look...


This is my daughter with her body facing a window.  Pay attention to how clear it is. Her complexion looks smooth. If you look close you can see light (or even me) reflecting in her eyes.  PS, eyes MAKE a picture GREAT! :)


Ok, this is my pouty little girl sitting next to a window. The light is coming in from the left.  Her eyes are not so clear, the image isn't quite as crisp.  Her complexion is a little blotchy and look at the shadows...eek!


Ok, same camera settings again, but this time she is sitting in front of the window, light is behind her.  Her eyes are dark and AGAIN with the SHADOWS, ugh!!!  I guess her complexion isn't as bad as the last one.  Definitely not a sharp image that I would want to hang on my walls.


So, as you can see, lighting is pretty important.   The same rules apply if your outside as well.  

One more tip.  If you are outside in the middle of the day, try to find some good shade.  You'll still get the awesome effects of natural light but without all the squinty eyes and shadows.

Now, go practice with your kids, it's ok if you just have a point and shoot or an iphone, You'll definitely see a difference if you use proper lighting! :)


Also, don't forget the giveaway I have going on right now!!  Enter to win some cute stuff HERE!!
TTFN,
Nicole

PS, come on back and leave me a comment telling me how you did! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips